How to Rid Your Scalp of Dandruff
Every day I choose my clothing based on 2 things: professional look and color of the shirt. Chances are, like me, you are one of the 97% of Americans who currently have dandruff or have had dandruff at one time (HealthGuidance). Do you spend time during the day checking the status of your shoulders in the mirror, or perhaps brush off your shoulder out of habit? Without a doubt, it's an unsightly and embarrassing condition. What steps can you take to eliminate or reduce dandruff?
- Use a dandruff shampoo containing zinc, tar, or tea tree oil (Dr. Oz).
- Use a brush with copper-tipped bristles. Copper naturally has antifungal properties, which can get rid of the fungus at the root of your dandruff problem.
- Skip the daily shampoo. Many hair stylists (including my own) do not recommend washing your hair every day because many shampoos strip your scalp of its natural oils, making the dryness worse. According to my hair stylist, her hair stays dandruff-free when she conditions daily but only uses shampoo every other day.
- Change your diet. Foods rich in vitamins A, B, C, zinc, iron, and omega-3 fatty acids promote a healthy scalp and hair.
- Comb and brush before washing, then blow-dry. This will loosen the flakes and make them easier to shampoo out. Continue brushing or combing as you blow-dry to help remove the flakes. Take note that this is only a temporary fix, it will usually only reduce your symptoms for a few hours to a day before the flakes return.
- See your doctor. She can prescribe a stronger dandruff shampoo or other scalp treatment than you will be able to buy over the counter. Depending on the cause and severity of your condition, she may refer a dermatologist who can better assess your needs.
Some people swear by home remedies such as soaking your scalp in mayonnaise or lemon juice, but these six tips have been tried and proven by medical professionals as well as hair care professionals. If you're like me, you'll try about anything to get rid of dandruff so you can once again wear that flattering black shirt without looking like you were caught in a snowstorm.
Health Guidance: Discover Effective Home Remedies to Dandruff
The Dr. Oz Show: Dandruff: Causes and Solutions
Benns, B.G., et al: Antifungal Activity of Some Thiosemicarbazones and Their Copper Complexes
Web MD: Top 10 Foods for Healthy Hair
Image Credit: Penywise via Morguefile